The Anxiety of Clout
Some forms of anxiety are good. Others, are not.
Some just are what they are, neither good nor bad.
I have anxiety about sharing this journal with the world. Having a large audience leads you to think that you can only produce and share things that are immediately useful to others; things that will continue to increase your clout.
I do my best to not fall into that trap, but I argue that it's nearly impossible to, if you value the clout you've been given in any measurable way.
For example, these posts. I am quite certian that these journal entries will not only not increase my clout, and I have anxiety that they could detract from it. Kind of absurd, isn't it?
Being well-known in a community can take its toll on you, if you aren't careful.
Hence, I am publishing this — to be candid — and to keep things in balance.
Thoughts & Musings: a (Public) Journal
A collection of hand-written essays by Kenneth Reitz.
- A Letter to /r/python.
- My Last Manic Episode.
- The Secret to My Success: Stimulants.
- On Polyamory.
- My Favorite Python Libraries.
- Competition and Open Source.
- Dinner with a Narcissist.
- A Good Hat.
- I Do Lots of Things.
- Working from Home — a Double-Edged Sword.
- Feeling Better & Reflecting on Open Source.
- Truest Love.
- Writing Reasonable Documentation.
- iPad as a Main Computer.
- On Depression, Part I (of many).
- On Psychedelics and Other Drugs.
- On Traveling and Depression.
- Pipe Dream: Making a Game.
- On Depression, Part II.
- On Irritability in Open Source.
- Why This isn't a Blog.
- A Concise List of Personal Values.
- Attempting to Reduce Stimulants Usage.
- On Conferences and Travel.
- The Far Side of Madness.
- Esoteric Interest and Current Bookshelf.
- New Project Idea: Environment Variables.
- Back to Work.
- Stuck in a Rut.
- Self Therapy or Professional & Amphetamines.
- Living With Reasonable Regrets.
- Switching Cameras (again).
- It's About Time....
- The Anxiety of Clout.
- Soul Purpose.
- Three Concise Truths.
- Positivity, Coming Soon™.
- Sharing is Therapeutic.
- On Inspiration and Tools (like languages).
- Fellowship at PyCon (upcomming).
- On Writing.
- First Entry.
- On Open Source and Impactfulness.
- Seeking Inspiration, Somewhere.
- On Writing Music and Emotional Landscape.
- Poetic Expressions.