Competition and Open Source
One of the things I love the most about the open source world is the lack of a feeling of competition. There's plenty of room for a new person to come along on the scene and become popular and everyone's all the better for it (assuming the software is good).
I don't understand why other fields in life aren't like this, particularly music and photography. These fields are tremendously, feircely competitive, and if anyone's getting any attention there it seems as though they're taking away from the precious attention that you could be getting.
Is this purely because of market saturation? The open source world is very small, in comparison.
I'm not convinced.
Either way, I really like what we have going on in the open source world. I hope it stays that way.
Thoughts & Musings: a (Public) Journal
A collection of hand-written essays by Kenneth Reitz.
- A Letter to /r/python.
- My Last Manic Episode.
- The Secret to My Success: Stimulants.
- On Polyamory.
- My Favorite Python Libraries.
- Competition and Open Source.
- Dinner with a Narcissist.
- A Good Hat.
- Working from Home — a Double-Edged Sword.
- I Do Lots of Things.
- Feeling Better & Reflecting on Open Source.
- Truest Love.
- Writing Reasonable Documentation.
- On Depression, Part I (of many).
- On Psychedelics and Other Drugs.
- iPad as a Main Computer.
- On Traveling and Depression.
- Pipe Dream: Making a Game.
- On Depression, Part II.
- On Irritability in Open Source.
- Why This isn't a Blog.
- A Concise List of Personal Values.
- Attempting to Reduce Stimulants Usage.
- On Conferences and Travel.
- The Far Side of Madness.
- Esoteric Interest and Current Bookshelf.
- New Project Idea: Environment Variables.
- Back to Work.
- Stuck in a Rut.
- The Anxiety of Clout.
- Self Therapy or Professional & Amphetamines.
- Living With Reasonable Regrets.
- It's About Time....
- Three Concise Truths.
- Positivity, Coming Soon™.
- Soul Purpose.
- On Inspiration and Tools (like languages).
- Switching Cameras (again).
- Fellowship at PyCon (upcomming).
- Sharing is Therapeutic.
- On Open Source and Impactfulness.
- On Writing.
- First Entry.
- Seeking Inspiration, Somewhere.
- On Writing Music and Emotional Landscape.
- Poetic Expressions.