Competition and Open Source
One of the things I love the most about the open source world is the lack of a feeling of competition. There's plenty of room for a new person to come along on the scene and become popular and everyone's all the better for it (assuming the software is good).
I don't understand why other fields in life aren't like this, particularly music and photography. These fields are tremendously, feircely competitive, and if anyone's getting any attention there it seems as though they're taking away from the precious attention that you could be getting.
Is this purely because of market saturation? The open source world is very small, in comparison.
I'm not convinced.
Either way, I really like what we have going on in the open source world. I hope it stays that way.
Thoughts & Musings: a (Public) Journal
A collection of hand-written essays by Kenneth Reitz.
- A Letter to /r/python.
- My Last Manic Episode.
- The Secret to My Success: Stimulants.
- On Polyamory.
- My Favorite Python Libraries.
- Competition and Open Source.
- Dinner with a Narcissist.
- A Good Hat.
- I Do Lots of Things.
- Working from Home — a Double-Edged Sword.
- Feeling Better & Reflecting on Open Source.
- Truest Love.
- Writing Reasonable Documentation.
- iPad as a Main Computer.
- On Depression, Part I (of many).
- On Psychedelics and Other Drugs.
- On Traveling and Depression.
- Pipe Dream: Making a Game.
- On Depression, Part II.
- On Irritability in Open Source.
- Why This isn't a Blog.
- A Concise List of Personal Values.
- Attempting to Reduce Stimulants Usage.
- On Conferences and Travel.
- The Far Side of Madness.
- Esoteric Interest and Current Bookshelf.
- New Project Idea: Environment Variables.
- Back to Work.
- Stuck in a Rut.
- Self Therapy or Professional & Amphetamines.
- Living With Reasonable Regrets.
- Switching Cameras (again).
- It's About Time....
- The Anxiety of Clout.
- Soul Purpose.
- Three Concise Truths.
- Positivity, Coming Soon™.
- Sharing is Therapeutic.
- On Inspiration and Tools (like languages).
- Fellowship at PyCon (upcomming).
- On Writing.
- First Entry.
- On Open Source and Impactfulness.
- Seeking Inspiration, Somewhere.
- On Writing Music and Emotional Landscape.
- Poetic Expressions.