Competition and Open Source
One of the things I love the most about the open source world is the lack of a feeling of competition. There's plenty of room for a new person to come along on the scene and become popular and everyone's all the better for it (assuming the software is good).
I don't understand why other fields in life aren't like this, particularly music and photography. These fields are tremendously, feircely competitive, and if anyone's getting any attention there it seems as though they're taking away from the precious attention that you could be getting.
Is this purely because of market saturation? The open source world is very small, in comparison.
I'm not convinced.
Either way, I really like what we have going on in the open source world. I hope it stays that way.
Thoughts & Musings: a (Public) Journal
A collection of hand-written essays by Kenneth Reitz.
- A Letter to /r/python.
- My Last Manic Episode.
- The Secret to My Success: Stimulants.
- On Polyamory.
- My Favorite Python Libraries.
- Dinner with a Narcissist.
- Competition and Open Source.
- A Good Hat.
- I Do Lots of Things.
- Working from Home — a Double-Edged Sword.
- Truest Love.
- Feeling Better & Reflecting on Open Source.
- iPad as a Main Computer.
- Writing Reasonable Documentation.
- On Depression, Part I (of many).
- On Psychedelics and Other Drugs.
- On Traveling and Depression.
- Pipe Dream: Making a Game.
- On Depression, Part II.
- On Irritability in Open Source.
- A Concise List of Personal Values.
- Why This isn't a Blog.
- Attempting to Reduce Stimulants Usage.
- On Conferences and Travel.
- The Far Side of Madness.
- Esoteric Interest and Current Bookshelf.
- New Project Idea: Environment Variables.
- Back to Work.
- Stuck in a Rut.
- Self Therapy or Professional & Amphetamines.
- Living With Reasonable Regrets.
- Switching Cameras (again).
- It's About Time....
- Soul Purpose.
- Three Concise Truths.
- The Anxiety of Clout.
- Positivity, Coming Soon™.
- Sharing is Therapeutic.
- Fellowship at PyCon (upcomming).
- On Inspiration and Tools (like languages).
- On Writing.
- First Entry.
- On Open Source and Impactfulness.
- Seeking Inspiration, Somewhere.
- On Writing Music and Emotional Landscape.
- Poetic Expressions.