On Conferences and Travel
I'm currently en-route to PyCon 2017, and I couldn't be more excited. This is my fifth year attending PyCon, and each year seems to be better than the last.
I used to attend almost every Python conference around, but I make a point to mostly only go to PyCon US now. Why is that?
Well, to be honest, I over-traveled myself out quite a bit. At my peak, I was attending ~4 conferences per month for about 3 solid years (all paid for by my company). This proved to be far too much.
One day, I woke up in Bangalore, India, and decided that enough was enough, and that I wanted to go home.
My sense of home was at conferences, and living out of a backpack, not at my home back in Virginia. Now, I have roots in Virginia. Family. I did then too, but they were being ignored.
I guess what I'm saying is, conferences are great - some of the best social interactions and friendships I've ever developed were from conferences. But, too much is still too much.
Thoughts & Musings: a (Public) Journal
A collection of hand-written essays by Kenneth Reitz.
- My Last Manic Episode.
- The Secret to My Success: Stimulants.
- My Favorite Python Libraries.
- Competition and Open Source.
- On Polyamory.
- Feeling Better & Reflecting on Open Source.
- A Good Hat.
- Dinner with a Narcissist.
- Working from Home — a Double-Edged Sword.
- Truest Love.
- Writing Reasonable Documentation.
- On Traveling and Depression.
- Pipe Dream: Making a Game.
- On Depression, Part I (of many).
- I Do Lots of Things.
- On Conferences and Travel.
- On Psychedelics and Other Drugs.
- On Irritability in Open Source.
- Attempting to Reduce Stimulants Usage.
- On Depression, Part II.
- The Far Side of Madness.
- A Concise List of Personal Values.
- Why This isn't a Blog.
- Back to Work.
- Stuck in a Rut.
- New Project Idea: Environment Variables.
- Esoteric Interest and Current Bookshelf.
- It's About Time....
- On Inspiration and Tools (like languages).
- Positivity, Coming Soon™.
- The Anxiety of Clout.
- Living With Reasonable Regrets.
- Soul Purpose.
- Fellowship at PyCon (upcomming).
- On Open Source and Impactfulness.
- Sharing is Therapeutic.
- Seeking Inspiration, Somewhere.
- First Entry.
- Three Concise Truths.
- iPad as a Main Computer.
- On Writing Music and Emotional Landscape.
- Self Therapy or Professional & Amphetamines.
- On Writing.
- Switching Cameras (again).