Writing Reasonable Documentation
I find it strange that most people seem to be rather horrible at writing documentation. While this is simply a subjective opinion of mine (who am I to say that I am any better than they), it is one that many of my colleagues share.
Writing documentation, once you're in the mood for it, is quite easy. You simply explain how to understand/use a piece of software in a concise, mildly entertaining fashion.
- Don't explain everything - leave some mystery.
- Explain what needs to be explained, and get on with it.
- Show some examples.
- Expect people to skip over most large blocks of text, so avoid them entirely.
Ideally, the software does a good job of explaining itself. If not, you may want to consider a new approach to your design (or accept the complications of your codebase's territory).
That's the best advice I can give to anyone trying to write better documentation (if they consider mine to be of any merit, that is).
Thoughts & Musings: a (Public) Journal
A collection of hand-written essays by Kenneth Reitz.
- A Letter to /r/python.
- My Last Manic Episode.
- The Secret to My Success: Stimulants.
- On Polyamory.
- My Favorite Python Libraries.
- Competition and Open Source.
- Dinner with a Narcissist.
- A Good Hat.
- Working from Home — a Double-Edged Sword.
- I Do Lots of Things.
- Feeling Better & Reflecting on Open Source.
- Truest Love.
- Writing Reasonable Documentation.
- On Depression, Part I (of many).
- On Psychedelics and Other Drugs.
- iPad as a Main Computer.
- On Traveling and Depression.
- Pipe Dream: Making a Game.
- On Depression, Part II.
- On Irritability in Open Source.
- Why This isn't a Blog.
- A Concise List of Personal Values.
- Attempting to Reduce Stimulants Usage.
- On Conferences and Travel.
- The Far Side of Madness.
- Esoteric Interest and Current Bookshelf.
- New Project Idea: Environment Variables.
- Back to Work.
- Stuck in a Rut.
- The Anxiety of Clout.
- Self Therapy or Professional & Amphetamines.
- Living With Reasonable Regrets.
- It's About Time....
- Three Concise Truths.
- Positivity, Coming Soon™.
- Soul Purpose.
- On Inspiration and Tools (like languages).
- Switching Cameras (again).
- Fellowship at PyCon (upcomming).
- Sharing is Therapeutic.
- On Open Source and Impactfulness.
- On Writing.
- First Entry.
- Seeking Inspiration, Somewhere.
- On Writing Music and Emotional Landscape.
- Poetic Expressions.