On Inspiration and Tools (like languages)
I often find myself inspired by the tools that I use. Today's example is a collection of VSTs made available from KORG Gadget for Mac.
Any artist can make due with any tools he has at his disposal — any camera, any lens, any synthesizer, any computer or editor (if he's writing code). I find myself, however, drawing the majority of my inspiration from other tools I love.
I mostly build tools myself, you see, so I guess I need to be surrounded by things I wish I had built myself, in order to be in the right mindset.
I could certinaly create with anything that was made available to me, not the best or my favorite of any tool — but it certinaly wouldn't be the same for me. I wouldn't be enjoying myself.
That's why I develop software in Python. It inspires me.
Why do you use your programming language of choice?
Thoughts & Musings: a (Public) Journal
A collection of hand-written essays by Kenneth Reitz.
- A Letter to /r/python.
- My Last Manic Episode.
- The Secret to My Success: Stimulants.
- On Polyamory.
- My Favorite Python Libraries.
- Dinner with a Narcissist.
- Competition and Open Source.
- I Do Lots of Things.
- A Good Hat.
- Working from Home — a Double-Edged Sword.
- iPad as a Main Computer.
- Truest Love.
- Feeling Better & Reflecting on Open Source.
- On Depression, Part I (of many).
- Writing Reasonable Documentation.
- On Psychedelics and Other Drugs.
- Pipe Dream: Making a Game.
- On Traveling and Depression.
- On Depression, Part II.
- A Concise List of Personal Values.
- On Irritability in Open Source.
- Why This isn't a Blog.
- Attempting to Reduce Stimulants Usage.
- The Far Side of Madness.
- On Conferences and Travel.
- Esoteric Interest and Current Bookshelf.
- Back to Work.
- New Project Idea: Environment Variables.
- Self Therapy or Professional & Amphetamines.
- Stuck in a Rut.
- Living With Reasonable Regrets.
- Soul Purpose.
- Switching Cameras (again).
- Three Concise Truths.
- It's About Time....
- The Anxiety of Clout.
- Fellowship at PyCon (upcomming).
- Sharing is Therapeutic.
- Positivity, Coming Soon™.
- First Entry.
- On Open Source and Impactfulness.
- Seeking Inspiration, Somewhere.
- On Inspiration and Tools (like languages).
- On Writing.
- On Writing Music and Emotional Landscape.
- Poetic Expressions.