I find writing to be a very therapeutic exercise. I’m currently using the excellent Ulysses application to write, with an Apple Magic Keyboard on an iPad Pro, and I find the overall experience to be quite enjoyable.
I’m working on a concept for a book right now, called Quintessense. I’m mostly writing it for myself, an audience of one. It’s, again, a therapeutic experience to simply write. I don’t necessarily intend to publish the book, simply to “work on it”, during down times.
Something doesn’t exactly need to be published in order to be worthy of being written.
Journaling is a good habit to get into, and I heavily encourage anyone that hasn’t tried it to give it a shot.
There’s just something about putting your own thoughts to paper (or screen) that’s a very satisfying experience, overall, for me.
I make my journal public for mostly unknown but fun reasons, and I don’t necessarily think that everyone should do that. A few people have taken inspiration by this collection and have created public journals of their own, which I find to be very cool. But, I don’t want to encourage people to do that as much as I want to encourage others to simply journal.
I also want to share a bit of the “behind the scenes” of what’s going on in my life, so others can “have permission to be human”, as a friend put it recently.
I think we have a tendency to always act like all is well, and being in the public eye always lends itself to presenting a constantly–positive public image, and this platform allows for the opposite to be true, while not polluting my main blog with personal nonsense.
So far, so good.
Thanks for reading ;)
Thoughts & Musings: a (Public) Journal
A collection of hand-written essays by Kenneth Reitz.
- A Letter to /r/python.
- My Last Manic Episode.
- The Secret to My Success: Stimulants.
- On Polyamory.
- My Favorite Python Libraries.
- Competition and Open Source.
- Dinner with a Narcissist.
- A Good Hat.
- I Do Lots of Things.
- Working from Home — a Double-Edged Sword.
- Feeling Better & Reflecting on Open Source.
- Truest Love.
- Writing Reasonable Documentation.
- iPad as a Main Computer.
- On Depression, Part I (of many).
- On Psychedelics and Other Drugs.
- On Traveling and Depression.
- Pipe Dream: Making a Game.
- On Depression, Part II.
- On Irritability in Open Source.
- Why This isn't a Blog.
- A Concise List of Personal Values.
- Attempting to Reduce Stimulants Usage.
- On Conferences and Travel.
- The Far Side of Madness.
- Esoteric Interest and Current Bookshelf.
- New Project Idea: Environment Variables.
- Back to Work.
- Stuck in a Rut.
- Self Therapy or Professional & Amphetamines.
- Living With Reasonable Regrets.
- Switching Cameras (again).
- It's About Time....
- The Anxiety of Clout.
- Soul Purpose.
- Three Concise Truths.
- Positivity, Coming Soon™.
- Sharing is Therapeutic.
- On Inspiration and Tools (like languages).
- Fellowship at PyCon (upcomming).
- On Writing.
- First Entry.
- On Open Source and Impactfulness.
- Seeking Inspiration, Somewhere.
- On Writing Music and Emotional Landscape.
- Poetic Expressions.