I find writing to be a very therapeutic exercise. I’m currently using the excellent Ulysses application to write, with an Apple Magic Keyboard on an iPad Pro, and I find the overall experience to be quite enjoyable.
I’m working on a concept for a book right now, called Quintessense. I’m mostly writing it for myself, an audience of one. It’s, again, a therapeutic experience to simply write. I don’t necessarily intend to publish the book, simply to “work on it”, during down times.
Something doesn’t exactly need to be published in order to be worthy of being written.
Journaling is a good habit to get into, and I heavily encourage anyone that hasn’t tried it to give it a shot.
There’s just something about putting your own thoughts to paper (or screen) that’s a very satisfying experience, overall, for me.
I make my journal public for mostly unknown but fun reasons, and I don’t necessarily think that everyone should do that. A few people have taken inspiration by this collection and have created public journals of their own, which I find to be very cool. But, I don’t want to encourage people to do that as much as I want to encourage others to simply journal.
I also want to share a bit of the “behind the scenes” of what’s going on in my life, so others can “have permission to be human”, as a friend put it recently.
I think we have a tendency to always act like all is well, and being in the public eye always lends itself to presenting a constantly–positive public image, and this platform allows for the opposite to be true, while not polluting my main blog with personal nonsense.
So far, so good.
Thanks for reading ;)
Thoughts & Musings: a (Public) Journal
A collection of hand-written essays by Kenneth Reitz.
- My Last Manic Episode.
- The Secret to My Success: Stimulants.
- My Favorite Python Libraries.
- On Polyamory.
- Competition and Open Source.
- A Good Hat.
- Dinner with a Narcissist.
- Working from Home — a Double-Edged Sword.
- Feeling Better & Reflecting on Open Source.
- I Do Lots of Things.
- Truest Love.
- Writing Reasonable Documentation.
- On Traveling and Depression.
- On Depression, Part I (of many).
- Pipe Dream: Making a Game.
- On Irritability in Open Source.
- On Psychedelics and Other Drugs.
- On Depression, Part II.
- On Conferences and Travel.
- iPad as a Main Computer.
- Why This isn't a Blog.
- A Concise List of Personal Values.
- Attempting to Reduce Stimulants Usage.
- The Far Side of Madness.
- Back to Work.
- New Project Idea: Environment Variables.
- Stuck in a Rut.
- Esoteric Interest and Current Bookshelf.
- Living With Reasonable Regrets.
- Positivity, Coming Soon™.
- The Anxiety of Clout.
- It's About Time....
- Soul Purpose.
- On Open Source and Impactfulness.
- On Inspiration and Tools (like languages).
- Fellowship at PyCon (upcomming).
- Three Concise Truths.
- Self Therapy or Professional & Amphetamines.
- Sharing is Therapeutic.
- Seeking Inspiration, Somewhere.
- First Entry.
- On Writing.
- Switching Cameras (again).
- On Writing Music and Emotional Landscape.
- Poetic Expressions.