A few years ago, I was polyamorous. I am not anymore.
I had a wife, as well as a girlfriend, and both relationsips were considered "open", at least on my end. I would often have very short-lived "relationships" with new aquantinences while travelling.
I found this lifestyle to be very rewarding for me at the time, but for various reasons, I find it to not be one for me anymore. There were many things that contributed towards this, things I need not mention here, but I will say this-I have found that my heart can love more than one person at once, but my mind cannot.
I'm now settled happily with my wife within a very traditional marriage. There's a strange comfort in not having to worry about such things anymore.
Aside, I think polyamory (or possibly the idea of open marriages) will become much more popular over the next 20 years. I believe, out of personal experience, that there is more stigma around polyamory in today's culture than there is around topics like transgenderism.
Thoughts & Musings: a (Public) Journal
A collection of hand-written essays by Kenneth Reitz.
- My Last Manic Episode.
- Competition and Open Source.
- The Secret to My Success: Stimulants.
- My Favorite Python Libraries.
- On Polyamory.
- A Good Hat.
- Working from Home — a Double-Edged Sword.
- Dinner with a Narcissist.
- Writing Reasonable Documentation.
- On Conferences and Travel.
- On Traveling and Depression.
- The Far Side of Madness.
- On Depression, Part I (of many).
- Pipe Dream: Making a Game.
- A Concise List of Personal Values.
- On Depression, Part II.
- On Psychedelics and Other Drugs.
- Why This isn't a Blog.
- On Inspiration and Tools (like languages).
- It's About Time....
- Stuck in a Rut.
- The Anxiety of Clout.
- On Open Source and Impactfulness.
- Living With Reasonable Regrets.
- New Project Idea: Environment Variables.
- Positivity, Coming Soon™.
- First Entry.
- Fellowship at PyCon (upcomming).
- Seeking Inspiration, Somewhere.
- Sharing is Therapeutic.
- On Writing Music and Emotional Landscape.
- I Love Typography.