The Secret to My Success: Stimulants
Often, people ask me what the secret to my success is — meaning, they want to know how I manage to produce so much open source code and be so productive with my time.
The answer, if there is one at all, is multi-faceted. One of the biggest contributing factors is that of caffeine.
Whenever I'm in a particularly productive cycle, you'll see me pounding away Red Bull or coffee like there's no tomorrow. It's something I've always done, and it serves me greatly.
I also have a history (in the past) of abusing my sleeping schedule, so I can get things done. I don't recommend this, as it can be very harmful to your mental health and overall well-being.
You may notice that both of these behaviors are symptomatic of either Bipolar Disorder or ADD. In either case, you would be correct, I am diagnosed with both.
Today, I take Vyvanse daily (perscribed), which helps me tremendously with executive function. In addition to that, I drink a moderate amount of caffeine throughout the day, and am able to produce a steady amount of work almost constantly.
Why am I sharing this? Why not. I think it's important to talk about these things.
Caffeine (and other stimulants) work for me. There wouldn't be a Requests if I didn't use these substances. I think that's interesting.
Thoughts & Musings: a (Public) Journal
A collection of hand-written essays by Kenneth Reitz.
- A Letter to /r/python.
- My Last Manic Episode.
- njs's blog post.
- The Secret to My Success: Stimulants.
- On Polyamory.
- My Favorite Python Libraries.
- Dinner with a Narcissist.
- I Do Lots of Things.
- Competition and Open Source.
- A Good Hat.
- Working from Home — a Double-Edged Sword.
- iPad as a Main Computer.
- Truest Love.
- On Psychedelics and Other Drugs.
- Feeling Better & Reflecting on Open Source.
- On Depression, Part I (of many).
- Writing Reasonable Documentation.
- Pipe Dream: Making a Game.
- On Traveling and Depression.
- On Depression, Part II.
- A Concise List of Personal Values.
- Why This isn't a Blog.
- On Irritability in Open Source.
- Esoteric Interest and Current Bookshelf.
- Attempting to Reduce Stimulants Usage.
- The Far Side of Madness.
- On Conferences and Travel.
- Self Therapy or Professional & Amphetamines.
- New Project Idea: Environment Variables.
- My Average Day.
- Back to Work.
- Stuck in a Rut.
- Living With Reasonable Regrets.
- Soul Purpose.
- Switching Cameras (again).
- Three Concise Truths.
- The Anxiety of Clout.
- It's About Time....
- Fellowship at PyCon (upcomming).
- First Entry.
- Sharing is Therapeutic.
- Positivity, Coming Soon™.
- Seeking Inspiration, Somewhere.
- On Open Source and Impactfulness.
- On Writing.
- On Inspiration and Tools (like languages).
- On Writing Music and Emotional Landscape.
- Poetic Expressions.