Switching Cameras (again)
It’s come to be that time again -- the time where I decide to change up my camera for no other reason other than "I’m bored".
This seems to happen every 1–1.5 years, and while I sometimes regret the decision afterwards, it has always kept me moving forward as a photographer and as an artist.
The Choice: Panasonic RX850
I sold my beloved Fujifilm x100F and Ricoh GR (which mostly went unused nowadays), and decided to pick up a Panasonic RX850, in black, as well as an Olympus 17mm f/1.8 lens (which is approximately equivalent to a 35mm lens).
Very happy with the exchange/purchase so far. The camera couldn’t be tinier.
This is my first Micro–Four–Thirds camera, and I’m very happy with the form factor so far. I’m not thrilled about the 3:4 aspect ratio of the sensor, but cropping to 2:3 is simple enough in-camera.
Thoughts Thus Far
- I’m very impressed with the size of the device -- it’s extremely small -- effectively the smallest usable camera with interchangeable lenses on the market.
- I’m very impressed with the 4K video capabilities. Sound quality is sub-par, of course, but that’s to be expected.
- Not having a viewfinder is scary.
- I’m a little worried that image quality won’t hold up for serious photo shoots.
Overall, I’m excited about the camera, and am a little scared about not having a viewfinder. I’m confident that it’ll work out for the best, though.
Thoughts & Musings: a (Public) Journal
A collection of hand-written essays by Kenneth Reitz.
- A Letter to /r/python.
- My Last Manic Episode.
- The Secret to My Success: Stimulants.
- On Polyamory.
- My Favorite Python Libraries.
- Competition and Open Source.
- Dinner with a Narcissist.
- A Good Hat.
- I Do Lots of Things.
- Working from Home — a Double-Edged Sword.
- Feeling Better & Reflecting on Open Source.
- Truest Love.
- Writing Reasonable Documentation.
- iPad as a Main Computer.
- On Depression, Part I (of many).
- On Psychedelics and Other Drugs.
- On Traveling and Depression.
- Pipe Dream: Making a Game.
- On Depression, Part II.
- On Irritability in Open Source.
- Why This isn't a Blog.
- A Concise List of Personal Values.
- Attempting to Reduce Stimulants Usage.
- On Conferences and Travel.
- The Far Side of Madness.
- Esoteric Interest and Current Bookshelf.
- New Project Idea: Environment Variables.
- Back to Work.
- Stuck in a Rut.
- Self Therapy or Professional & Amphetamines.
- Living With Reasonable Regrets.
- Switching Cameras (again).
- It's About Time....
- The Anxiety of Clout.
- Soul Purpose.
- Three Concise Truths.
- Positivity, Coming Soon™.
- Sharing is Therapeutic.
- On Inspiration and Tools (like languages).
- Fellowship at PyCon (upcomming).
- On Writing.
- First Entry.
- On Open Source and Impactfulness.
- Seeking Inspiration, Somewhere.
- On Writing Music and Emotional Landscape.
- Poetic Expressions.