A Concise List of Personal Values
One of my favorite pages of my website contains a short list of my personal values — good, sometimes hard, lessons that I've learned in life.
- 180° turns are encouraged.
- Listen to everyone, then disregard it.
- Optimize for peacefulness; in all directions.
- Life's not a race, but there's no speed limit either.
- Reality is what still exists after you stop believing in it.
- Always give the benefit of the doubt; don't forget red flags.
- There's a big difference between judgement and discernment.
- Negative atmospheres are toxic. Remove yourself from them.
- Attention is your only currency. Allocate it sparingly.
- Drink copious amounts of water—every day.
- Fallibilism (epistemological & moral).
- The best way to learn is to teach.
- Be cordial or be on your way.
- Be gentle with yourself.
- Inspire. Stay inspired.
- Never stop learning.
- Take breaks often.
- Keep breathing.
I love this list. I love iterating on it. I love improving it. I love adding new things to it. I love maintaining it. I love when others see it.
I have no idea why.
Thoughts & Musings: a (Public) Journal
A collection of hand-written essays by Kenneth Reitz.
- My Last Manic Episode.
- Competition and Open Source.
- The Secret to My Success: Stimulants.
- My Favorite Python Libraries.
- On Polyamory.
- A Good Hat.
- Working from Home — a Double-Edged Sword.
- Dinner with a Narcissist.
- Writing Reasonable Documentation.
- On Conferences and Travel.
- On Traveling and Depression.
- The Far Side of Madness.
- On Depression, Part I (of many).
- Pipe Dream: Making a Game.
- A Concise List of Personal Values.
- On Depression, Part II.
- On Psychedelics and Other Drugs.
- Why This isn't a Blog.
- On Inspiration and Tools (like languages).
- It's About Time....
- Stuck in a Rut.
- The Anxiety of Clout.
- On Open Source and Impactfulness.
- Living With Reasonable Regrets.
- New Project Idea: Environment Variables.
- Positivity, Coming Soon™.
- First Entry.
- Fellowship at PyCon (upcomming).
- Seeking Inspiration, Somewhere.
- Sharing is Therapeutic.
- On Writing Music and Emotional Landscape.
- I Love Typography.