Working from Home — a Double-Edged Sword
I've been working remotely for about six–seven years. It's a fantastic lifestyle choice, that I highly recommend to anyone who finds working in an office to be a struggle.
However, there are some downsides to working from home that I've been considering lately. Namely, the lack of social interaction throughout the workday.
When I first started working remotely, I was quite worried about this, so I signed up immediately for a local coworking space where I could be surrounded by peers.
Much to my surprise, about a month into it, I stopped showing up to the coworking space entirely. I much preferred just working from my home office, instead.
I'm in a weird place now — a big part of me feels like I'd thrive in a social workspace environment, but at the same time, I know my workflow wouldn't work well in that environment. For example, I often take breaks from working during the day to make music. I couldn't do that away from my home studio.
I miss working with others though, sometimes.
Thoughts & Musings: a (Public) Journal
A collection of hand-written essays by Kenneth Reitz.
- A Letter to /r/python.
- My Last Manic Episode.
- njs's blog post.
- The Secret to My Success: Stimulants.
- On Polyamory.
- My Favorite Python Libraries.
- Dinner with a Narcissist.
- I Do Lots of Things.
- Competition and Open Source.
- A Good Hat.
- Working from Home — a Double-Edged Sword.
- iPad as a Main Computer.
- Truest Love.
- On Psychedelics and Other Drugs.
- Feeling Better & Reflecting on Open Source.
- On Depression, Part I (of many).
- Writing Reasonable Documentation.
- Pipe Dream: Making a Game.
- On Traveling and Depression.
- On Depression, Part II.
- A Concise List of Personal Values.
- Why This isn't a Blog.
- On Irritability in Open Source.
- Esoteric Interest and Current Bookshelf.
- Attempting to Reduce Stimulants Usage.
- The Far Side of Madness.
- On Conferences and Travel.
- Self Therapy or Professional & Amphetamines.
- New Project Idea: Environment Variables.
- My Average Day.
- Back to Work.
- Stuck in a Rut.
- Living With Reasonable Regrets.
- Soul Purpose.
- Switching Cameras (again).
- Three Concise Truths.
- The Anxiety of Clout.
- It's About Time....
- Fellowship at PyCon (upcomming).
- First Entry.
- Sharing is Therapeutic.
- Positivity, Coming Soon™.
- Seeking Inspiration, Somewhere.
- On Open Source and Impactfulness.
- On Writing.
- On Inspiration and Tools (like languages).
- On Writing Music and Emotional Landscape.
- Poetic Expressions.