Competition and Open Source
One of the things I love the most about the open source world is the lack of a feeling of competition. There's plenty of room for a new person to come along on the scene and become popular and everyone's all the better for it (assuming the software is good).
I don't understand why other fields in life aren't like this, particularly music and photography. These fields are tremendously, feircely competitive, and if anyone's getting any attention there it seems as though they're taking away from the precious attention that you could be getting.
Is this purely because of market saturation? The open source world is very small, in comparison.
I'm not convinced.
Either way, I really like what we have going on in the open source world. I hope it stays that way.
Thoughts & Musings: a (Public) Journal
A collection of hand-written essays by Kenneth Reitz.
- My Last Manic Episode.
- The Secret to My Success: Stimulants.
- My Favorite Python Libraries.
- On Polyamory.
- Competition and Open Source.
- A Good Hat.
- Feeling Better & Reflecting on Open Source.
- Dinner with a Narcissist.
- Working from Home — a Double-Edged Sword.
- Truest Love.
- Writing Reasonable Documentation.
- On Traveling and Depression.
- I Do Lots of Things.
- Pipe Dream: Making a Game.
- On Depression, Part I (of many).
- On Conferences and Travel.
- On Psychedelics and Other Drugs.
- On Irritability in Open Source.
- Attempting to Reduce Stimulants Usage.
- On Depression, Part II.
- A Concise List of Personal Values.
- The Far Side of Madness.
- Why This isn't a Blog.
- Back to Work.
- Stuck in a Rut.
- New Project Idea: Environment Variables.
- Esoteric Interest and Current Bookshelf.
- iPad as a Main Computer.
- It's About Time....
- On Inspiration and Tools (like languages).
- Positivity, Coming Soon™.
- The Anxiety of Clout.
- On Open Source and Impactfulness.
- Living With Reasonable Regrets.
- Fellowship at PyCon (upcomming).
- Soul Purpose.
- Three Concise Truths.
- Seeking Inspiration, Somewhere.
- Sharing is Therapeutic.
- First Entry.
- On Writing Music and Emotional Landscape.
- Self Therapy or Professional & Amphetamines.
- On Writing.
- Switching Cameras (again).